Her BreastFriend is also my BreastFriend
3 Things You Must Know About Breastfeeding:
1. It’s got the best stuff for the baby. Early lactation gives off colostrum which is like steroids for babies. This is the best, but most painful to get out. Literally squeezed out bit by but.
2. It’s stressful for mummies and giving up is too easy. Especially with idiotic family and friends who make dumb ass comments like “baby cry again? your breast not enough milk ah?”
3. It’s tiring for mummy so since my nipples don’t drip milk, the least I could do his help out with other stuff – e.g. feeding and changing baby while she pumps.
5 Things Daddy Can Do To Help:
Contributed by Jenny Wee, a former-breastfeeding counselor from Breastfeeding Mother Support Group( Singapore). She was trained by a lactation consultant (Doris Fok) and has 3 kids of her own who were breastfed till they were 20 months old.
1. Read up; foremilk is watery. hind milk is fatty. hind milk comes later. You’ll have to keep working on it to get the hind milk out. find out more at www.kellymom.com. Almost all women can breastfeed. It’s just those <1% of the population that can’t due to medical conditions.
2. Read up more to help fend of stupid comments like the example above. Other myths like: all breastfed babies are fat: NOT TRUE.
3. Treat breastfeeding as a science – like biology class type science. For example – latching times, angles, schedules. Measure everything. input, output (wet and soiled diapers). Don’t assume. Let mummy pump – and you do the science.
4. Treat formula as the LAST resort. When you express milk with a pump and only retrieve 100ml, it doesn’t mean that you are only producing 100ml. It is entirely possible that there is another 50-80ml hiding behind there that can only be extracted via latching so support mummy in her breastfeeding journey.
5. Don’t panic. Hands-on dads want to jump in and solve the problem. I’m pretty sure you can’t lactate. Trust me. I tried pumping and all I got was reddish marks around my man breasts. Keep the calm head and help mummy tweak her method.
special contribution suggestion: dont stress mummy out. Society has sufficient pressure and significance attached to lactation. Help keep her calm and la breast milk will flow.