So wifey goes into labour and you haven’t really grabbed what you need. Hollywood portrays labour to be like 15 minutes from water breaking to childbirth – but this ain’t Hollywood and you’re going to have to support her dilation from 1 cm all the way up and out. And it’s not as fast as you think.
Here’s my quick list:
- Bring lots of content. Labour takes 14-16 hours on average (they say, don’t quote me) and you will run out of every TV Series you know.
- Bring your device chargers. You’ll be busy taking photos and videos of the experience. It’s a once in a lifetime experience so you have everyone’s permission to be a total cam-whore.
- Bring comfortable clothes. This entire hospital infrastructure was built around the patient. You are NOT the patient. You’ll have to fend for yourself.
- You don’t need to bring snacks… once wifey’s labour starts, she can’t eat. But the hospital packages all come with food. So guess what? You’re eating it all.
- Bring stuff that you can do with your wife… like Scrabble, or Sudoku – something to keep you guys interacting as the clock is ticking down.
- 3 changes of clothes (max)
- Slippers for showering